Sunday 1 July 2007

Let your lips do the talking


While we all dream of a pout with a likeness to that of Angelina Jolie, most of us fall short at a likeness to Jennifer Aniston's thin lips. Here are the new products on the market that help plump up your kisser whether your fullness is declining with age or you just want to plump up what your parents gave you.
The number of lip-enhancing products availiable has risen exponentially in the past few years, and luckinly for us, so has the product effect. Full red lips are desirable to men because they signal sexuality and arousment, and while lipstick has long been the only way to achieve this, women (and men) are demanding a more natural and kissable look. Lipgloss has been an intermittent answer to our kissing woes, but now it seems that, while they like the look, men do not like the feel of kissing your sticky lips. Damn. Until lately anything short of plastic surgery could do very little for our even smaller lips. With these new products you are assured a non invasive augumentation, if only tempoarily. My girly friends and I set out the other day to find the best of the best in lip gunk and came home with a whole arsenal of products that we now believe we cannot live without! Lip exfoliating, moisturising, plumping, priming, dyeing....... Perfect soft bee-stung lips being my goal, here is my pick of the ocean of products on your way to the perfect pout.
As we headed into the shopping center we instinctively went for our favorite top brands. As I stood at the Clarins counter resisting the temptation to try all their creams on at once I spot an old favorite the Clarins Moisture Replenishing Lip Balm. This is a balm with a lovely texture and great if your lips have a tendency to become really dry, I take it with me everywhere in the winter and if ou are a skier it is a great base for your SPF. The assistant helps me find the Clarins version of lip plumper. Unfortunatly, while it gives my lips a nice shine and my lips feel soft, the don't look at all enlarged past what a good lip gloss could do. Next.
Set on giving my man a kiss he won't soon forget when I get home, I go over to my friend who is inspecting the contens of Elizabeth Arden's counter. Here we decide that 8 hour cream is a must. For lips or anything fullstop. The Eight Hour Cream Lip Protectant Stick SPF 15 is a handy little one to carry around to ensure super soft lips, and you can get them with a slight tint that isn't too offending. We decide that the Eight Hour Lip Tint in 01 Honey is the most naturally pleasing. We are then introduced to the Ceramide Plump Perfect Lip Moisture Cream SPF 30 which is designed to go under your lipstick to give your lips a plumper and less lined effect. While this is a good one for under your lip -stick/-gloss of choice it fails to meet my expectations. Still an excellent product, possible when I am older...
In the cheaper department we all fawn over Burt's Bees and all buy at least one tube of Burt's Bees Beeswax Lip Balm Tube, which is the same one as the original in a tin but in a handy tube. And if you are considering doing some foot home pampering (see previous article, skin) try Burt's Bees Foot Care Kit.
My friend swears by City Lips BAREcelona and uses a tube a month to keep her pout prim. I have never used this product myself, but may have to give it a go as everything else seems to be a bit disappointing.
Too Faced win the competition hands down! After trying on Too Faced Lip Injection Extreme (not actually an injection!) my lips tingle faintly and there is a slight burning sensation, nothing uncomfortable. After a short while my lips are visible enhanced and have a beautiful bee stung natural pinky colour! Amazing! In my great excitment I buy the Too Faced Lip Injection Set and the moment I great through the door and discard of all my shopping I am in my bathroom reading the instructions on how to make my lips a full on smacker. The set includes all the best selling lip enhancment products from Too Faced, and I begin by using the Too Faced Lip Injection Mask. Applying without getting it in my mouth is a little tricky and the provided spatula doesn't ease things that much. Luckily the mask only has to be left on for a few minutes. It tickles slightly while I inspect my boobs in the mirror for the 3-5 minutes you have to leave the mask on. I remove it gently with a wet-wipe and coat my lips with the orginal Lip Injection. My lips are definitely fuller and have the beautiful pinky tone I experienced in the shop. Two more products to go. The Too Faced Lip Injection Extreme is supposed to be used morning and evening to create constantly full lips, while Lip Injection is used during the day to top of the effect, but it's quite late by now so I go for the full package and smoother it on.
After waiting for a few minutes my pout looks less grandmother and more sex siren. I even get an you look very pretty today darling from my computer-screen-bound man! Result. Definitly a keeper. Memo to self- buy all products full size....

ps. Remember- your lips need exfoliating too. Use a soft toothbrush put on some lip balm to avoid scratching youe lips and lightly brush awat any old and dry skin.

No comments: